Wednesday, July 4, 2007

My summer job

Hello,

I have created this blog to track my progress, and to receive feedback on, my summer job. My summer job consists of helping uventurecap encourage micro-equity investing into lesser developed markets, specifically Sub-Saharan Africa. My main deliverable as an employee of uventurecap is the preparation of a paper documenting my assignment in terms of my approach to completing it, hurdles faced by along the way, resources I draw on and conclusions (for better or worse) that I draw along the way. I look forward to feedback from anyone who thinks they can improve on or offer insights into what I come up with. Below is the first installment:

In no way is this literature meant to be the final word in how to profitably enable growth in Africa. Instead my hope is to define a starting point for continuous critical review of investment practices, eventually leading to a widely acceptable model for investment. The starting point for my research was my summer internship; requisite to the IMBA program at York University’s Schulich School of Business. My internship was with μventure, an offshoot of Adapted Consulting. Adapted Consulting is a firm who specializes in providing IT solutions to small business and NGOs in remote areas. Adapted is a Canadian firm who operates a great deal in West Africa. After hiring local workers Adapted provides skill development and on some occasions encourages employees to go out on their own. It was one of these employees who lead the directors of Adapted to identify an opportunity to earn a profit while enabling SMEs to better serve there market and ultimately create wealth in some of the world poorest nations.

Thanks,

Rob Tudhope

4 comments:

Ian Howard said...

We look forward to hearing your insights and the application of your knowledge in the financial sciences to this application. There is no mystery, capital is essential to development. I do trust that your work will encourage further study and other companies to also consider investing in this market, to help it to develop but also to create links and opportunities across our market and into theres. Thanks for your work Rob!

Ian Howard, Adapted Consulting

Serge LeVert-Chiasson said...

I have to agree with Ian, as I see capital formation in developing countries part of the solution rather than part of the problem. Local enterprises need to use their unique insights and knowledge to provide valuable products and services to their people while creating new jobs and opportunities. I look forward to reading your blog and being of assistance in this endeavour. Good luck!

Karen said...

My first thought was "what is the risk and what is the reward". Sounds way too basic I know, however it is a or the major factor is finding a target investor.

Who & how to motivate investment sounds like a fascinating opportunity. I'm looking forward to following along with your progress.

Ian Howard said...

Serge, Karen,

Thanks for your input!

Karen, I do know that Rob plans to address (at least introduce) some of his research on the question that you ask, that is how to motivate the investor, so please do check in again.

Regards,

Ian